Birds and Beards

So this in one of those posts where I KNOW I should be doing my homework but I can’t seem to get Birds and Beards off my mind, and have spent almost an hour looking into it.

If you are confused it is expected… but Chuck is probably giggling right now because I bring this up on a regular basis. So I have this crackpot theory that needs further investigation but goes something like this. Men with beards seem to like birds. Now, the reason it needs further investigation is that this could be a Chicken vs the egg thing… that is to say I don’t know if love of birds causes the desire to grow a beard, or if having a beard fosters love of birds.
But lets just allow the evidence to speak for itself.
EXHIBIT A: Vincent Van Gogh

This is a painting of nests that he did, and he also has one of crows flying.
EXHIBIT B: Iron and Wine Lead Singer Sam Beam

As is true with many bearded musicians he often sings about birds. For example his songs… Flightless bird, American Mouth
Bird Stealing Bread
Boy with a Coin (talks about a girl with a bird)
Two Hungry Blackbirds
Exhibit C: Peter Griffin from Family Guy…

I only included this because I feel like although it is a cartoon… it depicts a clue in the puzzle.
EXHIBIT D: Aubrey De Grey (longevity specialist)

My argument for this is pretty weak, but I watched him give a speech when he accepted his TED award and he was wearing a T-shirt with a bird on it.
EXHIBIT E: Unknown artist in front of bird he painted.

I should google his name… nope… I have spent enough time on this already today!!!
EXHIBIT F: No idea… Need I SAY MORE?!?!?!?!

This is a flickr photo taken at some beard competition.
EXHIBIT G: Fleet Foxes Lead Singer ROBIN Pecknold

First of all his name is Robin, and he sings about all kinds of birds… medowlarks, hummingbirds, sparrows and seagulls.
EXHIBIT H: Ray LaMontagne

My personal favorite of the bearded musicians (next to Chuck that is) also sings about “silly sparrows” and “callous old crows” Plus he sings a song called Winter Birds.
EXHIBIT I: Chuck Call my husband

Picture that sits on his dresser of a Crane, done by our brother in law Daniel

Chuck’s beard in progress.
If anyone has any further insight into this phenomenon I would really be interested.

About tacycall

I am a mommy of four little ones. Two girls (5 and 3) and two boys (3 years and 5 months) This only consumes about 95% of my life. I try to squeeze as much as I can into the other 5%. I am a stay at home mom with dreams of owning a hobby farm with my husband and recreating the garden of Eden in my backyard. I crochet , keep bees and spend time with my hubby, cook, read and of course do a little writing.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Birds and Beards

  1. charles says:

    May I be the first to offer a possible insight into this phenomenon. "Correlation does not imply causality." That is to say because A and B are correlated in some way doesn't mean A causes B, or B causes A (or in this case beard causes love of birds or love of birds causes beard).There may a third, unidentified variable to discover that could be the underlying cause of this. My guess: LOVE OF NATURE. Love of nature, or the natural way of things, could be causing love of birds and love of letting nature take it's course on one's face.Bottom line: I love beards and birds, probably because I love nature.P.S. I should have been suspicious when you took that picture and told it was for "research purposes."

  2. This made me chuckle. I have nothing to add really, I hadn't noticed this correlation before, but will probably be on the lookout now.

  3. Toni Jones says:

    this has got to be the most random blog post i've ever read! which makes me like you even more! too funny!

  4. My cousin's husband has a beard and he likes to go birdwatchin. You might be on to something here.

  5. Tandy says:

    Ha! that's my kind of post. maybe it's 'cause beards kinda look like birds' nests. it's psychological. they grow a beard and they feel like they fit-in in that world, right? psychological connectedness. hahahahaanyway, that's my comment so that you can stalk me back to our blog (;

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s